During warm summer months, you rely on your air conditioning to keep your home cool and comfortable. When your A/C suddenly dies or stops performing as well as it has in the past, you and your loved ones notice. You may be tempted to pick up the phone right away to call your expert A/C technician at DC Cheek Heating & Cooling for an immediate repair of one of your home’s most important systems. While you can always rely on DC Cheek to perform emergency repairs and services 24/7, it’s important to consider if you really do have an emergency situation on your hands, or if it can wait until the next business day.
What Is an A/C Emergency?
When it’s hot outside and your A/C needs some TLC to perform at its best, every situation can feel like an emergency, but to avoid paying more than you really need to for expert repairs, you’ll need to think critically about if the required repairs are a “must-have” or a “could-wait.” Generally, you’ll know if your circumstances are worth emergency action if they disrupt your everyday activities and functions. If you or your family could suffer health consequences without air conditioning or if the A/C’s function is a major detriment to your daily life (not just a minor inconvenience), you can rest assured that emergency service is completely warranted.
How Can I Avoid an Emergency?
Emergencies are stressful and costly. However, with the right preparation and maintenance, you’ll reduce your risk of having to stress your way through another air conditioning emergency. The easiest and least expensive way to remain on top of your air conditioner’s performance is by being aware of its needs day-to-day.
While many homeowners simply ignore their A/C until it breaks, responsible individuals know that regular maintenance and repairs are the way to go. Your A/C needs biannual inspections to ensure it continues running efficiently. While it may be tempting to skip an inspection or maintenance visit to save a bit of money today, a preventable emergency breakdown could become even more costly and stressful down the line.
If you notice your A/C making strange noises or not performing as well as it could be, don’t put it off! Fix those small problems before they grow into major issues that could put you and your loved ones in a jam in the middle of summer. Repairing small problems immediately keeps costs lower for longer and helps you avert an A/C crisis later.
Stay Cool and Comfortable with DC Cheek Heating, Cooling & Plumbing
With proper prevention and maintenance, your air conditioning should serve you and your loved ones well for years to come. However, if your A/C is kaput right on the edge of summer and causes major disruptions to your daily life, you can trust DC Cheek to provide prompt emergency service to help you get back on track quicker. To schedule an inspection or maintenance, contact us online or call 770-888-8788.
When the weather starts to warm up, you want your home to be as comfortable as possible. If you haven’t turned on your air conditioning system since last year or haven’t scheduled any pre-season maintenance, however, you might be in for an uncomfortable surprise when you go to turn it on.
If you want your AC to work when you need it most, year-round maintenance is a necessity. While changing the filter and looking for any fluid leaks can be done on your own, it’s important to have regular tune-ups by a trained professional who can perform a number of checks and repairs.
Check Refrigerant Levels
The refrigerant in you air conditioning unit is responsible for cooling the air that flows into your home. If the levels are low or leaking, you might notice your indoor air being warmer than it should be. As part of regular maintenance, a trained AC technician can check for damage; if a leak is detected they can repair the problem, refill the refrigerant and test the repair to ensure everything works properly.
Check Fans and Belts
The outdoor air conditioning unit uses a large fan to pull air across the coils. Although a protective grill is in place to keep out any unwanted debris, leaves and other matter can still get into the system. Your repair technician can clean out the fan casing while also ensuring the belt and electrical motor are functioning properly.
Your air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils can collect layers of dirt during normal usage, even if your filter is working effectively. Dirt that accumulates can block airflow, decreasing you AC’s efficiency and costing you more money in the long run. Having it checked and cleaned regularly will ensure your system runs at peak performance.
Perform a Split Test
The efficiency of your air conditioning system is measured using a split test. A professional technician measures the temperature of the air going into an AC unit as well as the air being blown out. The difference between these two numbers is the temperature split. An acceptable range for the temperature split is anywhere between 14 and 24 degrees Fahrenheit.
Inspect Air Filter
One of the most important steps in any air conditioner maintenance process is checking your indoor air filter. Clogged or dirty filters can significantly reduce both your indoor air quality and the performance of your AC system. Filters should be changed at least once per season, though houses with high levels of allergens might need to change their filter every month.
Benefits of Regular Maintenance
Regular maintenance on your air conditioning unit provides a number of benefits for both you and your AC system:
- Prolongs the life of indoor and outdoor units.
- Increases the efficiency of your AC system.
- Ensures comfort during warmer months.
- Increases efficiency to help you save money on your electric bill.
Make sure your air conditioning unit is examined by a professional technician at least once per year to maintain optimum performance.
AC Maintenance and Repair in Georgia
At DC Cheek Heating & Cooling, we are dedicated to keeping our clients cool when the weather heats up. Our trained technicians offer affordable air conditioning tune-up and maintenance plans to help our clients keep their homes and businesses comfortable year-round. Contact us online today to schedule an appointment or request a free quote!
Thе weather is fіnаllу wаrmіng uр around Atlanta, and as Lео Tоlѕtоу says, “ѕрrіng is thе tіmе for plans аnd projects.” Even thоugh thеrе еxіѕtѕ a numbеr оf hоmе improvement аnd maintenance рrоjесtѕ уоu саn tасklе уоurѕеlf, a соuрlе оf thіngѕ in your hоuѕе needs to be lеft tо thе еxреrt – lіkе уоur еlесtrісаl раnеl, wаtеr heater, аnd HVAC system.
That’s exactly whу we wаnt tо ѕаvе уоu tіmе, money, аnd energy bу dоіng аll оf уоur home tunе-uрѕ simultaneously (4 for the price of 1)! Hоwеvеr, thе lоngеr уоu wait, thе lеѕѕ уоu save.
FIVE SPRING MAINTENANCE TIPS
We аrе рrоud to рrеѕеnt these ѕрrіng maintenance tірѕ tо rеѕіdеntѕ іn Cumming, GA and surrounding аrеаѕ:
1. INSPECT GUTTERS
- Over wіntеr, lоаdѕ of debris hаѕ аmаѕѕеd іn уоur guttеr ѕуѕtеm. Nоw’ѕ thе орроrtunіtіеѕ to brеаk out thе lаddеr аnd wоrk glоvеѕ tо сhесk out уоur guttеrѕ. Yоu саn сlеаr a lot оf thе twіgѕ, leaves, аlоng wіth оthеr debris with уоur hаndѕ, hоwеvеr уоu ѕhоuld also lооk fоr аnу lооѕе connections. It’ѕ also еѕѕеntіаl to check уоur bеrmѕ аnd ditches, іf nесеѕѕаrу. Find оut hоw to extend your downspouts here.
- Rераіr оr seal аnу loose gutter connections. Fіgurе out hоw tо fіx ѕаggіng guttеrѕ hеrе.
- You may аlѕо wіѕh tо think аbоut gutter guаrdѕ to рrеvеnt future сlоgѕ аnd blосkаgеѕ.
- Also, rain gаrdеnѕ are a grеаt way to оffеr natural drаіnаgе аrоund уоur hоuѕе.
- There аrе vаrіоuѕ оthеr ways to mаngе уоur wаtеr runoff іѕѕuеѕ, including rаіn bаrrеlѕ, сіѕtеrnѕ, and rain gardens.
2. FIX PLUMBING LEAKS
Fіrѕtlу, уоu hаvе to lосаtе plumbing leaks аrоund your hоmе. Mаіnlу bесаuѕе “tеn реrсеnt оf hоuѕеѕ hаvе leaks thаt wаѕtе 90 gаllоnѕ оr more per dау,” іt’ѕ vіtаl thаt уоu fіx plumbing lеаkѕ as уоu lосаtе thеm.
Thе best way to dеtесt lеаkѕ іn уоur plumbing ѕуѕtеm іѕ tо have a lооk at уоur wаtеr mеtеr. Mоѕt wаtеr mеtеrѕ hаvе a lеаk dеtесtіоn dіаl whісh wіll tеll уоu іf уоu have a leak:
Rеgulаr plumbing lеаkѕ саn be fixed bу replacing brоkеn tоіlеt flappers, faucet hеаdѕ, аnd оthеr leaking рlumbіng fixtures. Plumbing leaks аrе ԛuіtе еаѕу tо fіx аnd can ѕаvе you 10% оr еvеn mоrе on уоur water bіll. Yоu саn ѕаvе a lоt mоrе mоnеу on уоur wаtеr bill bу switching tо lоw-flоw fіxturеѕ and hіgh-еffісіеnсу appliances.
3. CHECK YOUR WATER HEATER
Chесk tо ensure your wаtеr hеаtеr іѕ ѕеt at 120 degrees, іnѕtеаd оf the regular 140 dеgrееѕ. Thіѕ will reduce уоur energy bіllѕ and рrеvеnt ѕсаldіng, раrtісulаrlу іmроrtаnt аѕѕumіng уоu hаvе уоung оnеѕ at hоmе.
Sрrіng саn bе a gооd time tо fluѕh уоur wаtеr heater оf ѕеdіmеnt, whісh wе аrе going tо dо аѕ part оf оur water hеаtеr mаіntеnаnсе service. If уоur wаtеr heater іѕ оldеr thаn 15 уеаrѕ, you might wаnt tо think about replacement. Aѕk uѕ аbоut tankless wаtеr heater орtіоnѕ.
4. INSPECT YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Hеrе аrе ѕоmе things to еxаmіnе tо guarantee your еlесtrісаl ѕуѕtеm іѕ ѕаfе and efficient:
- Arе еxtеnѕіоn соrdѕ are bеіng utіlіzеd correctly? They аrе оnlу a temporary mеаѕurе (uѕе for a maximum оf 30 dауѕ), so іf уоu nееd tо add аddіtіоnаl outlets, do so. Enѕurе уоur еxtеnѕіоn соrdѕ aren’t undеr rugѕ, саrреtѕ, furniture, or іn high-traffic spots. Exаmіnе your extension cords fоr dаmаgе before using. Thіѕ gоеѕ fоr роwеr tооlѕ аnd оthеr еlесtrісаl tооlѕ tоо.
- Arе all еlесtrісаl соrdѕ іntасt (no сrасkѕ, frауѕ, or damage)?
- Hаvе уоu еxаmіnеd уоur AFCIs аnd GFCIѕ in thе lаѕt 30 dауѕ?
- Hаvе you got tаmреr rеѕіѕtаnt receptacles (TRRѕ) іnѕtаllеd to prevent ѕmаll children frоm еlесtrісаl shocks?
- Are аnу оf уоur outlet оr light ѕwіtсh рlаtеѕ discolored, сrасkеd, оr damaged?
- Dо any оf уоur outlet оr light switch рlаtеѕ fееl hоt to thе touch?
- Dоеѕ уоur brеаkеr or fuse bоx keep trірріng? Arе you аwаrе thе сарасіtу of your сіrсuіt?
- Arе your соѕtlу electronics and appliances guarded bу a ѕurgе protector?
- Iѕ thеrе ѕuffісіеnt аіr flow аnd ventilation аrоund уоur appliances and еlесtrоnісѕ? Is уоur drуеr clean аnd frее from dеbrіѕ?
- Arе fluids nеаr аnу of your electrical devices?
- Do you hаvе wоrkіng ѕmоkе аnd CO аlаrmѕ? Arе thеу ѕеt uр in thе right рlасеѕ (on еvеrу lеvеl of the hоmе and оutѕіdе оf every sleeping areas)?
- Are your mаkіng use of thе right bulb wаttаgе fоr your lіght fіxturеѕ?
- Dоеѕ уоur сеіlіng fаn wobble? Hаѕ іt bееn duѕtеd оr сlеаnеd rесеntlу?
- Iѕ уоur wаtеr hеаtеr set tо 120 dеgrееѕ Fаhrеnhеіt?
- Hаvе you hаd уоur electrical, рlumbіng, аnd HVAC ѕуѕtеmѕ сhесkеd оut by a professional thіѕ year?
5. TUNE UP YOUR AIR CONDITIONER
It іѕ сruсіаl tо ѕсhеdulе professional air соndіtіоnіng mаіntеnаnсе every ѕрrіng, however thеrе аrе also numеrоuѕ procedures tо fоllоw tо supplement thіѕ рrоfеѕѕіоnаl effort, іnсludіng:
- Kееріng thе evaporator соіl сlеаn.
- Getting rid of dеbrіѕ from thе outdoor unіt аnd mаіntаіnіng a mіnіmum 24-іnсh clearance.
- Rерlасіng уоur аіr filter еvеrу 1-3 mоnthѕ. Lеаrn whісh air fіltеr іѕ bеѕt fоr уоur house.
- Checking аnd rерlасіng your CO аnd ѕmоkе alarm batteries.
- Installing a рrоgrаmmаblе thеrmоѕtаt аnd lеаrnіng to utilize іt.
- Clean the air ducts inside your home to reduce dust and allergens.
ADDITIONAL SPRING HOME MAINTENANCE TASKS:
- Chесk оut roof аnd сhіmnеу fоr brеаkѕ and dаmаgе.
- Touch up рееlіng оr dаmаgеd paint.
- Clеаn wіndоwѕ, іnѕіdе аnd оut.
- Sеt up screens оn windows аnd dооrѕ.
- Clеаn оutdооr furnіturе.
- Sеrvісе уоur lаwn mower along wіth other gаѕ-роwеrеd еԛuірmеnt.
- Fеrtіlіzе уоur lаwn.
- Tеѕt ѕmоkе and CO detectors.
- Examine уоur ѕumр рumр аnd figure out hоw tо аvоіd basement flooding. If іt’ѕ not wоrkіng, call a рrоfеѕѕіоnаl.
- Duѕt and vасuum.
- Rерlасе уоur аіr filter.
- Clean kіtсhеn and bаthrооm and dispose of old food аnd соѕmеtісѕ.
- Tеѕt your bасkuр gеnеrаtоr аnd саll аn expert fоr уоur уеаrlу gеnеrаtоr maintenance.
- Tеѕt раnеl circuit breakers/fuses.
An air conditioner is probably of your home’s most important appliances during summer. It plays a major role in ensuring that your home or office is comfortable despite the hot temperatures. However, you also need to give it proper care during this time for it to be effective. The following guidelines will ensure that you have an efficient air conditioner to serve you reliably during these hot months.
Clean Air Filters
Clean air filters increase the AC’s efficiency by up to 15%. This is because debris overworks it, thus reducing its lifespan and increasing energy bills. Ensure that you replace any worn out filters and clean dirty ones to keep the unit running optimally.
Keep the Surrounding Area Clear
The ease with which your air conditioner draws in air is determined by a number of things, including how clear the area around the outside unit is. Keeping the area free from foliage and any form of obstruction increases air flow. Ideally, there should not be any items placed within 2 feet of the air conditioner.
Invest in a Programmable Thermostat
If you need to keep your home at the right temperature without compromising the activity of your AC, it’s best to use a programmable thermostat and ensure that it is set at the right temperature. Using a thermostat will go a long way to ensuring an efficient air conditioner.
Whenever the air conditioner is running, you need to make sure to close all doors in your home to ensure that it runs efficiently. If you have unused rooms, shut off the vents and ensure that their doors remain closed.
Getting your air conditioner to work optimally is as simple as performing these small tweaks. Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way to having a reliable and efficient air conditioning system. Remember, with improved efficiency comes other benefits, such as energy cost savings and improved indoor air quality.
For any questions you may have about your air conditioning system, contact the experts at DC Cheek today: 770-888-8788.
Have you ever wondered what the difference between a heat pump and an air conditioner is? Well wonder no more! We’ve outlined some of the key differences between these two common systems below:
While both devices can be involved in cooling your home (as an air conditioner is essentially a type of heat pump), the main difference between a heat pump and an air conditioner is that some heat pumps can actually have a dual function – they can cool your house during warmer months and help heat it when it’s cold outside. This is more accurately known as a reversible heat pump.
An air conditioning system makes use of refrigerant fluid to remove the heat that is inside your house and expel it outside, thus cooling the house overall. It can only move this heat one way (outside), cooling the interior of your home.
A reversible heat pump, on the other hand, makes use of a device called a reversing valve, which gives it its dual function. This allows the unit to reverse the refrigerant’s flow, which in turn allows it to act as a heater when needed as well as a cooling system, so while there is no particular difference in function during the summer, having a heat pump does eliminate the need for further heating equipment during the winter, depending on your needs. Heat pumps can’t normally replace the job of traditional furnaces when the temperature gets very cold, but they can provide and efficient complement to them or act as a backup heating system.
For more information, contact the experts at DC Cheeks today. 770-888-8788.
With the warmer weather now moving in, more homeowners are beginning to turn down the thermostat and think about their AC. In order to keep your home at a comfortable temperature this spring and summer, you will need to give your air conditioner a workout. Of course, the more the AC unit is used in your home, the higher the risk will become for repair issues. Unfortunately, situations will arise where you have emergency AC repair that needs to done in a hurry.
Here’s what you need to do when your air conditioning system starts malfunctioning:
As soon as you start to notice you are having issues with your unit, you will need to turn it off immediately. The longer you leave it running, the more damage it will ultimately cause. Once you have turned off the unit, you can give us a call and we’ll be right over to take a look at it and repair any issues.
There are number of different AC repair services to choose from in the Cumming area, but DC Cheek stands out from the rest. We are a professional air conditioning repair company that has been in the business for a while, is bonded, insured, and our good customer reviews speak for themselves. You can depend on us for all your emergency air conditioning service needs, and rest assured that we will get the job done quickly and efficiently. Give us a call at 770-888-8788.
Whether we’re talking about a commercial air conditioning system in a large or small office, restaurant, grocery store, gas station, repair shop, or any other type of business, it is crucial that it is properly maintained.
While there are a number of reasons why you should schedule routine maintenance for your commercial air conditioner, the comfort of your employees and customers is of particular importance.
With the stifling heat of summer on its way, you can’t run the risk of your system not being able to keep your building comfortably cool. Let’s look at several additional reasons why preventative AC maintenance is something you can’t put off.
Dust quickly builds up on the inside of air conditioners, as well as the filters, which can prevent the various components from efficiently cooling the air. Not only does this leave indoor temperature warmer than you’d prefer, but it can lead to it running for extended periods of time or potentially not cutting off at all. In addition to causing your monthly energy bill to skyrocket, this is bad for the environment.
Avoid Potential Problems
Regularly scheduled maintenance has been shown to decrease the chances of a breakdown by as much as 95%. Everything from cleaning the coils to checking the levels of refrigerant gives a technician the opportunity to identify a potential issue and fix it before it turns into a major problem. This dramatically reduces your chances of having to pay for costly AC repairs or even having to replace the entire system early.
Improve Air Quality
Ensuring that everything is routinely cleaned and inspected will prevent the buildup of fungal, microbial, and bacterial growth that not only becomes increasingly more difficult to remove with time, but can also cause serious health concerns.
If you don’t take the necessary steps to maintain your commercial air conditioning system, it can wreak havoc on your business and profits. Be sure you schedule routine maintenance to keep your system working at an optimum level.
Contact DC Cheek to schedule an appointment today. 770-888-8788.
With warmer weather fast approaching, keeping your air conditioner tuned up and running properly is essential to keeping your home cool reliably and efficiently. Very much like your automobile, once something breaks on your air conditioner, if left unattended, other things will break soon after. Basically, without a proper tune-up before the warmer season, it’s easy for problems to accumulate in your AC system when it’s not maintained properly.
Having a DC Cheek professional technician come to your home for an AC tune up will not only help to keep you cool in the warm summer months, it will save you money in the long run!
How AC Tune-Ups Save You Money
A properly maintained air conditioning system will require less energy when it is properly cooling in the way that it was designed for. The better it runs, the less it has to work in order to keep you comfortable in your own home. On top of that, it will require less costly and less frequent repairs.
As summer will be here before you know it – don’t waste any more time, and stop putting off a call that can bring great benefits to you and your family’s comfort. Get ahead of the game and be ready for the warm weather that is just around the corner. Give us a call today at 770-888-8788.
If you install the right kind of air conditioning in an office, you will discover that under more pleasant working conditions staff productivity goes up. Therefore, contacting your Cumming air conditioning specialist makes good business sense. When you are buying air conditioning for a new office there are certain considerations you must take into account, like the size of the rooms and how many people will be using the rooms during the day. The following is a breakdown of other questions that you should ask your Cumming HVAC contractor to make the best investment for your business.
1. What is the unit’s British Thermal Unit (BTU) rating? This rating will tell you how much heat the air conditioning unit can remove from a room. A higher rating corresponds to more heat being taken from a room, so it is best to have room dimensions ready for the air conditioning installer. A large room with a unit that has a low rating would not be effective at all.
2. What Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) Number has the air conditioner have? This number will tell you how much energy is needed to power the unit to work effectively. The higher the EER, the less energy is needed to power the air conditioning unit. This is desirable, but keep in mind that higher EER numbers mean a more expensive unit. The good thing about that is the long-term use of a machine with a higher EER will help pay for itself over time, saving you money.
3. How is the temperature controlled? Most units today have a heat sensor that automatically adjusts the temperature of the air as it enters the unit using a manual or programmable control. If you get a unit with a variable speed fan, it can help make your unit more efficient. You can also find units with remote controls, timers and digital readouts.
4. Is it easy to maintain? Obviously, you want a unit that is easy to maintain, meaning filters that are easily removed for cleaning and replacement. By doing so, you can ensure that your unit works efficiently and save your Cumming business money over the years.
Write these questions down to ask your Cumming air conditioning specialist to select the best unit for the best price for your new office.
It’s summertime– which means it’s that time of year when many homeowners find themselves shelling out cash for air conditioning repairs in Cumming. By utilizing the following tips for air conditioning maintenance, however, you can cut down on the money and time many Cumming residents will find themselves spending this summer.
- You should have your thermostat properly calibrated during your next service check-up. If your Cumming serviceman is already there, he will most likely do this for you at no charge. By ensuring accurate temperature control, you will save money and set an accurate comfort level.
- One of the main components of your air conditioner, the refrigerant charge, can be quite expensive to repair. Making sure that the refrigerant charge is on point will save you money on your power bill because it will help your air conditioning unit run more efficiently.
- You air conditioner’s condenser coil will remove and reject heat from your home, so if this part is dirty expect your a/c to run less efficiently. If the coil gets too dirty it can lead to a total system failure, which will cost big bucks to repair (or replace).
- Keeping your air conditioning evaporator coil clean is important to helping your unit run efficiently. Dust and dirt that escape the air filter can restrict the air flow through the coil, reducing your air conditioning system of performance and capacity. Checking your coil once a month will make sure that proper air flow is delivered to all areas of your home, as well as increase comfort levels, provide better de-humidification and a give your home a cleaner healthier indoor environment.
- Something that can affect air flow into your home are dirty blower wheels. It can also spread dust particles which irritate sinus and allergies. By keeping it clean, it will provide maximum air flow and proper cooling of your home.
The main point of these tips is to ensure that your air conditioning unit runs at it’s most efficient level– saving wear and tear on the unit, keeping money in your pocket and keeping visits from your Cumming air conditioning repairman to a minimum.